Graduate Schools for Arts & Literature Courses /
Foreign Students Admission
(For April 2018 Entry)
1. Graduate Schools, Divisions, and Studies
|Graduate School||Division (Studies)||Program||No. of students accepted|
|Letters||Sociology||First-stage doctoral||A few|
|International Language Education
(Japanese Language Education)
2. Applicant Eligibility
- A person who graduated from a university, or a school equivalent to a university, or is due to graduate in March 2018
- A person who completed 16 years of regular school and university education in a foreign country (whether or not he/she officially
- Any other person whom the university’s Graduate School Committee recognizes as having academic ability and eligibility for the selection process equivalent to or greater than a university graduate.
3. Application Requirements
Applicants must submit a passing certificate of the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test level N1 during the application period below.
4. Application Period
5. Application Fee
Please note: Applicants should pay via the web page using one of the credit cards accepted and send a document confirming payment of the application fee when making their application.
6. Application Documents
|Category||Application Documents and Points to Note||download|
Application for Admission (using the form provided by the university)
Two passport photos
Academic Transcript from Previous University
Academic Transcript from Previous Graduate School (if applicable)
Certificate of Graduation or Certificate of Expected Graduation from Previous University
Certificate of Completion, Certificate of Expected Completion, or Certificate of Enrollment from Previous Graduate School (if applicable)
Proof of Degree
Letters of Recommendation (2 types) (using the form provided by the university)
Japanese-Language Proficiency Test Certificate
Submit Japanese Language-Proficiency Test level N1 pass certificate.
Soka University Research Plan (using the form provided by the university)
Approximately 2,000 characters in Japanese.
Graduation Thesis, or Equivalent Dissertation (submission mandatory only for the relevant majors)
Summary of Graduation Thesis or Equivalent Dissertation (submission mandatory only for the relevant divisions)
Statement of Financial Eligibility (using the form provided by the university)
Verify that your tuition fees and living expenses during your time at graduate school can be paid by attaching a document (e.g., a bank statement) to the form provided by the university, and submitting it.
Note: For further details, refer to the section below entitled Payment of Expenses.
Preferences Regarding Acceptance Notice and Mailing Address (using the form provided by the university)
The address you provide will be used when mailing your acceptance notice and other documents, so ensure that you state an address and name that will enable you to receive the relevant mail.
Proof of Application Fee Payment
After completing payment of the application fee by credit card via the university’s website, submit a print-out of the payment confirmation web page, or of the subsequent confirmation e-mail.
7. Points to Note When Applying
- All documents must be written Japanese.
- Ensure that you attach a Japanese or English translation if any of the certificates or other documents you submit include languages other than Japanese or English.
- The content of application documents cannot be amended after they are received by the university.
- You may apply for only one division at a time; applications for more than one division are not permitted.
- Once application documents and application fees are received by the university they cannot be returned for any reason.
- If your application documents are found to contain any false statements, your acceptance and admission to the university may be revoked.
- Application documents that are incomplete or submitted after the due date will not be included in the applicant selection process.
Payment of Expenses
If the applicant him / herself will pay expenses
- A bank statement in the applicant’s own name (showing a balance of JPY 1.5 million or more)
If a relative will pay by sending money from the applicant’s home country
- A bank statement in the name of the person sending money (showing a balance of JPY 1.5 million or more)
- Documentary proof of employment
- Documentary proof of annual income
- Document verifying relationship with applicant (e.g., a copy of the family register, a certificate of residence, a notarized statement of kinship, etc.)
If a scholarship will be used to pay
- Documentary proof of scholarship payment specifying the amount to be paid, the period of payment, and the organization paying
(The allowance shown should amount to approximately JPY 1.5 million per year in total)
If a Japanese resident will pay
- A tax document stating gross income (e.g., a photocopy of an income tax return counterfoil (kakutei shinkoku hikae no utsushi), a certificate of tax deducted at source (gensenchoshuhyo))
- Documentary proof of employment (self-employed persons should provide a photocopy of the company registration (tokibotohon no utsushi), an operating license (eigyo kyokasho), or similar document)
- Certificate of residence
- If the Japanese resident is an acquaintance or friend, provide evidence of his/her relationship to the applicant
(e.g., a photograph in which he/she appears with the applicant)
- *If the applicant is applying for Academic Fee Exemption simultaneously, financial capability will be reviewed. In that case, submission of the balance statement is accepted even if the amount is below 1,500,000 JPY.
8. Selection Method
|Graduate School||Division(Studies)||Selection Method|
|Letters||Sociology||(1) Document screening
(2) Oral examination
|Education||(1) Document screening|
|Humanities||(1) Document screening|
|International Language Education
(Japanese Language Education)
|(1) Document screening
(2) Oral examination
- The oral examinations for the Division of Sociology and the Division of International Language Education are conducted in Japanese. Oral examinations for international applicants living in Japan will be held in a classroom on the Soka University campus. Oral examinations for international applicants living outside Japan will be conducted using Skype or an alternative method.
- Oral examinations for international applicants living in Japan will be held in a classroom on the Soka University campus.
- Oral examinations for international applicants living outside Japan will be conducted using Skype or an alternative method.
9. Date of Oral Examinations
(Conducted only for the Division of Sociology and the Studies of Japanese Language Education within the Division of International Language Education.)
Please note: For international applicants living outside Japan the times and dates of oral examinations may be changed in light of time differences. The university will consider any changes in timing after receiving applications, and will contact the relevant applicants accordingly.
10. Announcement of Admissions
One of the following three admissions results will be notified by e-mail to each applicant
|(1) Admission approved||Admission to graduate school from the following April approved.|
|(2) Admission declined||Screening indicated that the applicant does not meet the criteria for admission.|
|(3) Ineligible to apply||The applicant was deemed ineligible for admission to graduate school.|
- The university will send an acceptance notice and related documents to applicants whose admission is approved.
- The university will not reply to any inquiries relating to the results of the screening process received by telephone or postal mail.
11. Procedure for Payment of Fees
(1) Payment of Admission Fee
(2) Payment of annual tuition and other tuition fees
|Fee category||Lump-sum payment||Payment in two installments||Timing of payment|
|During (1) or (2) above||During (1) or (2)above||During second semester|
|Admission fee||JPY 246,000||JPY 246,000||During (1) above|
|Annual tuition||JPY 500,000||JPY 250,000||JPY 250,000||During (2) above|
|Facilities and maintenance fee||JPY 100,000||JPY 50,000||JPY 50,000|
|JPY 8,000||JPY 4,000||JPY 4,000|
|JPY 2,430||JPY 2,430|
|JPY 2,430||JPY 856,430||JPY 552,430||JPY 304,000|
Please note: The admission fee is JPY 123,000 for Soka University graduates and those who completed the Japan Studies Center program, graduated from the Division of Correspondence Education, or completed an advanced information systems technology course at Soka University.
(3) Points to Note
- If you do not complete the necessary procedures for payment during the time limits stipulated above, the university will revoke its approval of your admission.
- Ensure that you pay your annual tuition and other fees in full during the time limits given. You may choose between making one payment (a lump-sum payment during the admissions procedure stipulated in (2) above), or two payments (in two installments, one during (2) above, and one during the second semester).
- The amount payable for health expenditure may be amended in line with actual circumstances.
- If you decide not to enter the university for personal reasons following completion of the admissions procedure, the university will return to you the annual tuition, etc., excluding the admission fee. However, this applies only if you notify the university by the day before your entrance ceremony.
12. Other Matters
(1) Applying for a Certificate of Eligibility for Residence Status and Obtaining a Visa
- Certificates of Eligibility are approved by the Ministry of Justice, and the university cannot assume any responsibility in situations where approval is denied.
- Even if the university applies on your behalf, the Ministry of Justice may require you to submit certificates or other documents as necessary.
(2) Scholarships for International Students
Academic Fee Exemption
*1: "Most recent 1 year" refers to 2015(January to December).
- In principle, household income refers to those of the father and mother or an individual other than a parent if that supporter is primarily financing the household.
- Scholarship application results will be notified joinly with admission decisions to granted applicants only.
- After enrollment, a review of exemption for the subsequent academic year will be conducted yearly. Depending on the grades, exemption may not be granted for the subsequent year.
- Academic Fee Exemption can be granted for the duration of the standard term (2 years) at most.
*In principle, if a student is receiving scholarship from elsewhere, scholarship from Soka would not be granted.
1-236 Tangi-machi, Hachioji-shi, Tokyo 192-8577
Tel: +81-42-691-9423 / Fax: +81-42-691-8232